Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Babywearing Week Odes, Part 2: My Mei Tai



Mei Tais are carriers of Chinese origin. There are numerous brands, all with slight modifications to the same basic design. The mei tai I reach for most often is my Kozy. This is one workhorse of a carrier! There are also some adorable new prints coming out. Mei tais can be worn on the front or on the back, and are made of sturdy material like twill or canvas. This photo shows a Kozy with it's plain side out. The other side is covered with a vibrant fabric. The design of a mei tai means that there are innumerable stylistic choices and combinations of fabric--like my bright pink Babyhawk!


The mei tai is easy to learn, easy to put on, and snuggly enough for infants, but supportive enough for toddlers. They are also fantastic for getting comfortable with back carries. I also found that it was my easiest carrier to nurse in.

Right now, my three year old is asking for a lot of up and down, and I like tying my Kozy up around my waist so it's always ready to go. I'm finding that I am still quite comfortable, and it is a very quick on-and-off process--something to be grateful for with a wiggly kid!

Learn more about mei tais at our Babywearing 101 class.

No comments:

Post a Comment